Friday, November 11, 2011

Are Cookbooks Obsolete?

          For a baking fanatic, this made me a little worried. I love my cookbooks and all the stains that they receive from the spilt vanilla or sifted flour. Not all of my recipes lie in a cookbook, some are printed off line and some are in a notebook, so maybe a one stop app for them all could be beneficial. Writer Julia Moskin, begins the piece by describing what ever cook in America will be doing in preparation for thanksgiving. Many of the first cooking apps were more unhelpful than the actual fifty year old cookbook, but then came the tablet. Whether you have Apple of Blackberry's version it does not matter, the cooking apps will soon exterminate the boring, yet extraordinary cookbook.
        Moskin knows her audience very well because they, like her, love to cook or bake. It is an informative  article, listing prices and culinary institutions were their textbooks are now tablets, but it is also persuasive. Throughout the article, I always felt like she was advertising the new apps for cooking or trying to sell her audience the new technology. For now, I will still hold on to my scraps of paper and stained filled baking books because to me they have a lot more character and personality than a iPad.


http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/09/dining/are-apps-making-cookbooks-obsolete.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1&ref=general&src=me

No comments:

Post a Comment