Sunday, December 11, 2011

Bless Me, Ultima (Chapters 1-7)

           First things first, I am pleased with my choice to take Spanish as my second language in high school because it is extremely helpful while reading this book. Unlike some of my other classmates, I enjoy the Spanish phrases, they add a quirkiness to Rudolfo Anaya's novel. The Spanish additions to the novel make it unique, along with its setting in New Mexico, as not many novels are set in the World War II period in a "llano" located in New Mexico. As I keep reading, the Marez'a families customs and habits keep reappearing. The family obviously respects the elderly and when Antonio called "La Grande", Ultima, his mother scolds him along with saying, "It would be a great honor to provide a home for la Grande"(Anaya 4). Another habit that keeps reappearing is when Antonio's parents constantly bicker and fight with each other. Anaya also keeps restating the fact that Antonio's mother was the daughter of farmers, which might be a factor in predicting what Antonio will do in the future. There is a constant appreciation and love for nature seen in the beginning of this book and I believe that this behavior will continue on throughout the book.
           Antonio often describes his dreams and I believe that each dream he has will have a connection to either his past or to his future. Antonio has big expectations to fulfill, his mother wants him to become a priest while his father wishes that Antonio will become a "cowboy" and wander across the llanos, but I believe that he will make his own choice. I also believe that Ultima will have a huge impact on Antonio's decision. He is very adventurous, as seen when he sneaks out and hides in the bushes to see Lupito get shot by his father and a group of men. Antonio's adventurous nature is sure to be a factor in his life choice. There are a lot of things that Antonio must think about before he makes his choice and he has plenty of time, but his brothers off fighting in a war, his parents constant bickering, beginning school, and Ultima's new presence in his life are all factors in his choice.
          I wish I was like Antonio, a carefree, adventurous person with potential to do whatever
they please.  So far, I am enjoying this book tremendously and cannot wait to see Antonio's life play out.

1 comment: