Monday, January 23, 2012

Not All College Majors are Created Equal

           A parent's nightmare is confirmed in this realistic article about a recent graduate's difficulties when entering the work force. Sometimes they can't even enter the work force because their major is holding them back. Some majors are just not practical is this troubled economy. Author Michelle Singletary plays a game with herself when she asks what people have majored in to see if they will have a job saying, "An English major with no internships or any plan of what she might do with the major to earn a living? No job" and "Engineering major with three relevant internships in the engineering field? Ding. Ding. We have a winner. Job.". I hate to say it, but I often do this as well. When I hear people say that they want to major in history my mind automatically jumps to, "Well, you can now either become a historian, a history teacher, or work at a historical museum", I don't do it to be mean, I do it because I am practical. Unemployment is at an all time high so this is something that the other students in my graduating class will have to think about. The thesis states, "They should do their homework before picking a major because, when it comes to employment prospects and compensation, not all college degrees are created equal". This article is a slap of reality for those who chose the wrong major.
           I strongly agree with this article, not all majors are created equal and I'd rather know that going into school than coming out with an almost useless degree. Taking a quote from a movie that many of my classmates hate to admit to viewing, " Major in philosophy, because there's no way to make a career out of that" (The Twilight Saga: Eclipse). Singletary is extremely logical in this article and her primary audience is high school seniors and juniors along with college freshmen. This is an extremely helpful article that teachers should read to their high school students.  




http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/not-all-college-majors-are-created-equal/2012/01/12/gIQAfz4XzP_story.html?tid=pm_pop

1 comment:

  1. NIce job and cool article:).... and yes I have to agree. You should go to college for something you love, but also something that you can make a career out of.

    ReplyDelete